When a lady from our church served this at her son's birthday party, I just had to have the recipe! Now it's the only meat loaf I make. It's great for potlucks.—Jenny Ingraham, Karlstad, Minnesota
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-2/3 cups milk
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 7-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each meat loaf):
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- In two very large bowls, combine the eggs, milk, cheese, bread, onions, carrots, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into four ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans.
- Cover and freeze three meat loaves for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining loaf, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup and mustard; spread over loaf. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- To use frozen meat loaf: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup and mustard; spread over loaf. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 4 loaves (6 servings each).
Originally published as Moist Meat Loaves in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p210
Reviews for Moist Meat Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review