- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-2/3 cups milk
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 slices white bread, cubed
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 7-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 pounds ground beef
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each meat loaf):
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- In two very large bowls, combine the eggs, milk, cheese, bread, onions, carrots, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into four ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans.
- Cover and freeze three meat loaves for up to 3 months. Bake the remaining loaf, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup and mustard; spread over loaf. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- To use frozen meat loaf: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup and mustard; spread over loaf. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 4 loaves (6 servings each).
Originally published as Moist Meat Loaves in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p210
Reviews for Moist Meat Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 26, 2012
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2012
"This is an awesome tasting recipe;moist,firm,perfectly seasoned and easy to make.I adjusted the recipe to make a single test loaf. Next time I'll use the full recipe and freeze the extra loaves."
Reviewed Jun. 26, 2011
"My kids LOVE this recipe! They request it time and time again to have at home and to take back to college with them."