Moist Marble Chiffon Cake Recipe
Field editor Sharon Evans of Clear Lake, Iowa reports. "This high cake won a blue ribbon for 'best chiffon cake' at our country fair."
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk the cocoa, boiling water, 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons oil; cool. and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water and remaining oil. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 3. Remove 2 cups of batter; stir into cocoa mixture. To the remaining batter, add orange peel. Alternately spoon the batters into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Swirl with a knife.
- 4. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 5. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- 6. For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, butter and enough orange juice to reach desired drizzling consistency. Add orange peel; Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 402 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 118 mg cholesterol, 331 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC