Moist Marble Chiffon Cake Recipe
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk the cocoa, boiling water, 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons oil; cool. and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water and remaining oil. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 3. Remove 2 cups of batter; stir into cocoa mixture. To the remaining batter, add orange peel. Alternately spoon the batters into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Swirl with a knife.
- 4. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 5. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- 6. For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, butter and enough orange juice to reach desired drizzling consistency. Add orange peel; Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 piece: 402 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 331mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Moist Marble Chiffon Cake
"Followed the recipe, but skipped the glaze (maye next time). The cake turned out great. It is not difficlt at all. Highly recommended."
"if i want to avoid eggs in every cake & desert recipes what is the option of it ?"
"I made this cake for the first time today for my good friend that just come from Italy. She and her family loved it...I was very easy to make and very tasteful cake..i will make sure to make this cake for every special occasions. FANTASTIC!!!!"
"I love this cake .I've made it many times.Thank you very much"
"thank you for this recipe .It's very very good cake and I love it.It's one of the best chiffon cakes that I made it."
"We absolutely LOVE this cake, I've made it many times for family and friends. Though I've made it with the glaze, we prefer the cake with a dollop of lite Cool-Whip."
"I actually found this recipe in an OLD magazine issue I picked up at a thrift store. I had photocopied the recipe and passed on the mag, so I don't know which one. However, I really wish I would have googled it FIRST because the web version here is different than the print version. I should have known better when the print version said to beat the whites to soft peaks. :( My cake rose and then buckled in a weird way. It still tastes delicious, it's just an ugly duckling. LOL I will make it again only using THESE directions :)"
"I loved making this cake. I dropped the orange ingredients and substituted vanilla extract with a chocolate buttercream frosting. Better suited to my family's taste. Perfect!"