- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 3-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the lemon juice, extracts and lemon peel. Add flour; beat just until moistened.
- Fill greased miniature muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 325° for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients. Dip tops of cakes into glaze; place on waxed paper to dry. Yield: 8-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Moist Lemon Tea Cakes
"I think part of the problem is they left out 1 1/2 tsp baking powder. I started making these and thought recipe was missing something I looked up other recipes for mini lemon tea cakes and they all have baking powder. Made these with BP and they turned out great with time indicated. I also used 2 additional TBS more fresh lemon juice in cake. Glaze I used 1/2 cup lemon juice instead of milk and extract added lemon rind and a dab of cream."
"not as "lemony"as I expected, I was desappointed"
"I made a batch of these yesterday and have mixed feelings about them. I thought with all the different types of lemon called for in the recipe, they would have a more defined lemon taste. I was a bit disappointed with the flavor. Also, I baked them much longer than called for and they still came out a pale yellow color (not golden brown like I expected). I made these for a church dinner which is tonight, so I will see how the tea cakes are accepted. This is a recipe that I could take or leave. All in all, if I am making something lemon, I want to really taste "lemon". I have other recipes that I like much better."
"I made these and I found that the 10-15 minutes baking time is not enough. I kept them in for 10 more minutes and they still came out pale, although the glaze made them pretty. They were still delicious so I will make them again, but I will bake them at 350 and see what happens. They are the perfect size and so attractive on a plate!! :)"
"I just made 1/2 batch of these little Tea Cakes. I used my regular size cup cake pan and increased the temp to 350 deg. 20 minutes and my yield was 21 cakes. I filled each cupcake about 3/4 full. Without levening in the batter they did not rise real high just about level with the pan. Then I found they were pretty delicate so I actually made 1/4 recipe of glaze and took a teaspoon and dabbed about a 1/2 teaspoon of glaze on each tea cake. They still were small and just a couple of bites."
"These are so good! The glaze recipe makes more glaze than you could possibly use unless you triple or quadroupled the tea cake recipe. The tea cakes are delicious on their own without the glaze too. The batter was a little thicker than I expected, so it was a little messy getting it into the mini muffin spots, but other than that, it was easy to make and very, very good."
"They are so good and the glaze is not needed. I don't care for overly sweet . I made half the recipe and only 1 cup of sugar. YUMMY"
"Has anyone tried to make these using mini muffin paper liners?"
"These are absolutely delicious and are a treat for my family. I made half the recipe to test how they turned out. The 10-15 minutes at 325 degrees (gas oven) did not bake them sufficiently as they were still raw inside - did anyone else have this problem? I baked another batch close to 25 minutes to get them to look like the picture. Did anyone else experience this? The half recipe made about 54 tea cakes. Also, even cutting the glaze recipe in half resulted in too much glaze.. I intend to keep making these as they are a wonderful addition for parties and family get-togethers. If anyone has any advice as to the baking problem, please contact me online."
"absolutely delicious....makes alot...these are so tender and flavorful!!"