Moist Lemon Meringue Cake Recipe
After my husband was diagnosed with high cholesterol, I started looking for light recipes. With its fresh berries and meringue topping, this sponge cake quickly became a favorite.—Suzanne Premo of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar. Refrigerate until serving. In a large bowl, beat butter and remaining sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat well. Combine the flour, baking powder, lemon peel and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot cake, sealing meringue to edges.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- 5. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Cut into squares; serve with strawberry mixture. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 261 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Moist Lemon Meringue Cake
Reviewed Mar. 14, 2010
"Yummy! A frequent request from my husband."
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC