After my husband was diagnosed with high cholesterol, I started looking for light recipes. With its fresh berries and meringue topping, this sponge cake quickly became a favorite.—Suzanne Premo of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Recommended: 21 Easter Cake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar. Refrigerate until serving. In a large bowl, beat butter and remaining sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat well. Combine the flour, baking powder, lemon peel and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot cake, sealing meringue to edges.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Cut into squares; serve with strawberry mixture. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Meringue Cake in Light & Tasty April/May 2006, p21
Reviews forMoist Lemon Meringue Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 14, 2010
"Yummy! A frequent request from my husband."