Moist Lemon Angel Cake Roll Recipe
- 9 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Yellow food coloring, optional
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place the egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; lightly coat paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spread batter into prepared pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes.
- 4. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- 6. Remove from heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, peel and, if desired, food coloring. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- 7. Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving plate; sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar. Yield: 10 servings.
1 slice: 243 calories, 1g fat (trace saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (43g sugars, trace fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Moist Lemon Angel Cake Roll
"This recipe was easy to make but my filling didn't thicken up enough so it kind of ran out the ends. I put it in the fridge for a bit and it turned out great. Taste is awesome."
"Made this for Easter. Saw Micheal in Morgantown WV make this. You could use any fruity mixture in it. I would definitely not use a boxed angel food cake mix because the cake was excellent."
"I have not tried this yet but it looks good? Could you not save time and use a boxed angel food cake following directions of mixing it and proceed with the rest of the steps of this recipe?"
"We made this for my Aunt as a late "Happy Birthday" treat when she came down. It was great, but I should have waited for it to cool a bit more because the roll would have stayed more firmly together. For a quick fix, I put it in the refrigerator for a bit & then re-rolled it. Perfect! We served it with fresh strawberries. :]"
"Have not tried this yet but want to. Attended Michael's school in South Portland on 3/19. He mentioned being able to use instant lemon pudding. Can you give me that recipe???? please send to firstname.lastname@example.org you, a faithful follower and customer"
"This is easy, light and tasty. Fabulous recipe!!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.