Moist Jalapeno Corn Bread Recipe
After many years of experimenting, I developed this recipe for corn bread. It has become a favorite with my family and often accompanies our meals of chili, soup or meat dishes. You can adjust the "heat" by the number of jalapeno peppers you use. —Archie Timmons Milwaukie, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Stir in jalapenos. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares or wedges. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 224 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 465 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC