Moist Jalapeno Corn Bread
After many years of experimenting, I developed this recipe for corn bread. It has become a favorite with my family and often accompanies our meals of chili, soup or meat dishes. You can adjust the "heat" by the number of jalapeno peppers you use. Archie Timmons
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk
- the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and stir
- just until moistened. Stir in jalapenos. Pour into a greased 9-in.
- square baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cut into squares or wedges. Serve warm.
- Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 224 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 465 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.