- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef cubes and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion in butter and oil until onion is tender. Stir in broth, tomato paste, garlic, paprika, marjoram, caraway seeds and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Serve over noodles if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Moist Hungarian Goulash
"This is my go-to recipe for Hungarian Goulash-my in-laws come from Hungary and LOVE it. I sometimes add a little more caraway seeds or add it to the buttered noodles-great recipe !!!"
"this was very good"