Moist Chocolate Chip Date Cake Recipe
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, divided
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Place dates and 1 teaspoon baking soda in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water; cool completely.
- 2. In another large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, salt and remaining baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with date mixture.
- 3. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar; top with chocolate chips and nuts.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 piece: 299 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Moist Chocolate Chip Date Cake
"The recipe calls for too many chocolate chips. I would not use more that half a cup of chocolate chips with the half cup of chopped nuts sprinkled on top. I would not use the half cup of sugar as it's way too sweet. I could not get the cake to bake completely done. I have never had trouble baking a cake but this one just was not good. My husband is a chocolate lover but even he said there was way too much. I won't make this cake again."
"My reserve of the 1/2 cup of sugar, I use Confectioner's Sugar as this recipe is the exact from my mom as when I was a kid. However, rather than sprinkle with sugar, we would sift over with powdered sugar after cooled so won't soak in to hot chocolate chips. Looks nicer that way too. I also used Walnuts which were great and again as my mom had in her recipe."
"Yummy! I used walnuts instead of pecans and I served it with whipped topping. It was very good that way."