Moist Chocolate Chip Date Cake Recipe
"I remember begging my mother to make this moist cake back in the '50s," says Kathy Frees from Fergus Falls, Minnesota. "Instead of sticky frosting, it's covered with sugar and nuts and is a wonderful treat to take along on picnics."
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, divided
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Place dates and 1 teaspoon baking soda in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water; cool completely.
- 2. In another large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, salt and remaining baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with date mixture.
- 3. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar; top with chocolate chips and nuts.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 299 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC