Moist Chocolate Chip Date Cake Recipe
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, divided
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. Place dates and 1 teaspoon baking soda in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water; cool completely.
- 2. In another large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, salt and remaining baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with date mixture.
- 3. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar; top with chocolate chips and nuts.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 299 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Moist Chocolate Chip Date Cake
"My reserve of the 1/2 cup of sugar, I use Confectioner's Sugar as this recipe is the exact from my mom as when I was a kid. However, rather than sprinkle with sugar, we would sift over with powdered sugar after cooled so won't soak in to hot chocolate chips. Looks nicer that way too. I also used Walnuts which were great and again as my mom had in her recipe."
"Yummy! I used walnuts instead of pecans and I served it with whipped topping. It was very good that way."