Moist Chocolate Chip Date Cake Recipe
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, divided
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Place dates and 1 teaspoon baking soda in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water; cool completely.
- In another large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, salt and remaining baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with date mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar; top with chocolate chips and nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Moist Chocolate Chip Date Cake
Sort By :
Yummy! I used walnuts instead of pecans and I served it with whipped topping. It was very good that way.
Have tried walnuts and milk chocolate chips with just as delicious results!
If you don't like dates this cake will change your mind! I can't say enough about it, delicious! So easy to make and take to picnics and pot lucks. Never have to worry about trans porting and messing up your frosting. My most requested recipe. Highly recommended!