- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, divided
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Place dates and 1 teaspoon baking soda in a large bowl. Stir in boiling water; cool completely.
- In another large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, salt and remaining baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with date mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar; top with chocolate chips and nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Moist Chocolate Chip Date Cake
"The recipe calls for too many chocolate chips. I would not use more that half a cup of chocolate chips with the half cup of chopped nuts sprinkled on top. I would not use the half cup of sugar as it's way too sweet. I could not get the cake to bake completely done. I have never had trouble baking a cake but this one just was not good. My husband is a chocolate lover but even he said there was way too much. I won't make this cake again."
"My reserve of the 1/2 cup of sugar, I use Confectioner's Sugar as this recipe is the exact from my mom as when I was a kid. However, rather than sprinkle with sugar, we would sift over with powdered sugar after cooled so won't soak in to hot chocolate chips. Looks nicer that way too. I also used Walnuts which were great and again as my mom had in her recipe."
"Yummy! I used walnuts instead of pecans and I served it with whipped topping. It was very good that way."