Moist Carrot Cake Recipe
This moist flavorful carrot cake always gets raves, but no one ever believes me when I reveal the secret ingredient - tomato soup! It's a beautiful dessert with its light orange color and rich frosting. -Grace Yaskovic, Branchville, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried currants, optional
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add soup and egg; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; beat into creamed mixture. Stir in the carrots, walnuts and raisins or currants if desired. Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 2. In another bowl, combine the first four frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cake; top with walnuts if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 342 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 289 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC