- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried currants, optional
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add soup and egg; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; beat into creamed mixture. Stir in the carrots, walnuts and raisins or currants if desired. Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In another bowl, combine the first four frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cake; top with walnuts if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Moist Carrot Cake
"I was disappointed in this cake. I found it to be dry compared to other Carrot Cakes I have had in the past."
"I've made and served this cake to guests many times. They never guess the secret ingredient to the moist texture and rich orange color comes from a can of tomato soup! This is my favourite go-to recipe for carrot cake."
"Perfect. Wonderfully moist."
"Good carrot cake. I did not have tomato soup one day when I started this cake,, so I substituted an 8 oz can of crushed pineapple and a quarter cup of apple sauce. It worked well."
"This is my go to recipe for carrot cake. I have made it over and over and it never disappoints."