Moist Carrot Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 egg
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried currants, optional
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add soup and egg; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; beat into creamed mixture. Stir in the carrots, walnuts and raisins or currants if desired. Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In another bowl, combine the first four frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cake; top with walnuts if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Moist Carrot Cake(8)
Sort By :
Good carrot cake. I did not have tomato soup one day when I started this cake,, so I substituted an 8 oz can of crushed pineapple and a quarter cup of apple sauce. It worked well.
This is my go to recipe for carrot cake. I have made it over and over and it never disappoints.
I've used this recipe time and again & I admit that I have made adjustments to the recipe to suit my tastes! I'd added 1 Tbsp. ground Navel orange to the creamed sugar mixture & I've also added 1 tsp. vanilla extract at other times for flavor! I also used 1 tsp. salt instead of dash salt! I'd omitted the walnuts & used 1/4 cup candied pineapple, chopped & 1/4 cup candied fruit-peel mixture as I'd baked this cake again 1/4/14! I did use the tomato soup and this cake is a great way to use canned tomato soup, too! I added 1/8 cup all-purpose flour to the candied fruit! I also used about 1-1/4 cup shredded carrots! I've sometimes left this cake plain & other times, I'd use a canned cream cheese frosting and iced cake once it completely cooled. I'd then chill the cake in my refrigerator to allow the icing to set! I can say this-this carrot cake IS one which I've taken to our chapel for our Sunday morning coffee breaks & other occasions! It never disappoints, either! Thank you, Grace Yaskovic, for sharing this delicious cake recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein
The tomato soup makes this a very moist cake. It's become a much-requested recipe
This is just like the one I used to make, totally yummy!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Carrot Cake >
- Carrot Cake Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >