- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Beat in egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add alternately to creamed mixture with milk. Fold in blueberries. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
- For topping, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or cooled. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Moist Blueberry Buckle
"I made this with the shortening and then again with 1/4 cup butter. I thought it was slightly better with the butter. I also added 1 tsp. vanilla"
"Loved it! So moist, even the 2nd day"
"I loved this. It isnt moist like a blueberry muffin. But not hard like a scone. Just very good texture and can pick up the slice and enjoy it. I have shared it with some of my friends and they love it too."