You don’t have to settle for fast food when you’re on the go this holiday season. These sweet muffins are a great snack anytime, and they make a tasty take-along for the busy days leading up to Christmas. —Jeanne Sherry, Putnam Valley, New York
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 medium apple, peeled and cut into 24 slices
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the buttermilk. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture just until moistened. Fold in chopped apples.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Place sliced apples over batter. For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over tops.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Moist Apple Muffins in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p36
Reviews for Moist Apple Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 18, 2015
"I chose to just sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar, but they are delicious!"