Moist & Savory Meat Loaf Recipe
Stop searching for a go-to meat loaf recipe. This is it! Your family will be delighted with this mixture of beef, pork and sauteed onion, with a sweet- and-tangy sauce baked onto the top. Cheese crackers are the secret ingredient in this one. —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup finely crushed cheese crackers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. Saute onion in oil in a small skillet until tender. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. Combine the eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, crackers, salt, pepper, thyme and onion in a large bowl. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf; place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Combine ketchup and brown sugar; spread half of sauce over meat loaf. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining sauce.
Freeze option: Bake meat loaf without sauce. Securely wrap and freeze cooled meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil. To use, partially thaw meat loaf in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap meat loaf and place on a greased shallow baking pan. Prepare sauce as directed; spread half of the sauce over the meat loaf. Reheat meat loaf in a preheated 350° oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC