Modern Caesar Salad Recipe
Robust flavor distinguishes this recipe recommended by Dorothy Pritchett of Wills Point, Texas. "I've had several versions of Caesar salad but like this one best," she says.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour YIELD:6-8 servings
- 3 slices bread
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 8 cups torn romaine and leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1. Cut bread into 1-in. cubes and place on a baking sheet. Toast at 225° for 1-2 hours or until crisp, turning occasionally. Meanwhile, combine the oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper in a jar with tight-fitting lid; shake well. Refrigerate for several hours.
- 2. In a large salad bowl, toss lettuce, cheeses and croutons. Shake the dressing; pour over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 194 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 295 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC