Instead of being fried, these sandwiches are baked, so they're a little different than the traditional version. The crunchy coating contrasts nicely with the sweet strawberry sauce.
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 slices white bread
- 6 ounces fully cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 6 slices process Swiss cheese
- 6 ounces cooked turkey, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups crushed crisp rice cereal
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- Spread mayonnaise on six slices of bread; top each with ham, cheese and turkey. Spread mustard on remaining bread; place over turkey. In a shallow dish, combine eggs, milk, and confectioners' sugar and salt if desired. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, then into crushed cereal.
- Place on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 7 minutes. Turn and bake 5-7 minutes more or until golden brown. Combine sour cream and jam; serve as a dip with hot sandwiches. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mock Monte Cristos in Country Pork 1996, p23
Reviews for Mock Monte Cristos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review