Mock Minestrone Recipe
Don't let the number of ingredients in this recipe fool you. The bulk of the items are combined all at once and simmered, making this no-fuss favorite.
- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups water
- 1 jar (30 ounces) chunky spaghetti sauce
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or 15 ounces garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage, onion and garlic until sausage is browned and onion is tender; drain. Stir in all remaining ingredients except the pasta and cheese. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add pasta and heat through. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 20-22 servings (5-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Mock Minestrone in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p109
Reviews for Mock Minestrone(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review