Mock Chicken Legs Recipe
When I was young, my mother made this recipe for us. Recently, I was going through her cookbook collection and found it. Now I make this tasty, fun appetizer for my own family and enjoy mixing the old memories with new ones. —Jeanne Herda, Burnsville, Minnesota
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 12 Popsicle sticks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups cornflake crumbs
- Oil for frying
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble ground meat over mixture and mix well. Shape a 1/4 cupful of meat mixture around each Popsicle stick to resemble a 3-in. log.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. Place cornflake crumbs in another shallow bowl. Coat each leg in crumbs, then dip in egg mixture and recoat in crumbs. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 3. In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. oil to 375°. Fry legs, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. Arrange on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving equals 240 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 374 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 12 g protein.
Reviews for Mock Chicken Legs
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC