Mock Apple Pie Recipe
My mother made this dessert often during the Depression, and our guests were always astounded that soda crackers could be such convincing 'apples'!—Shirley Hunter, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 18 saltines, halved
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate. Layer crackers in shell; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Carefully pour over crackers (filling will be very thin). Cool for 10 minutes. Cut lattice strips from remaining pastry; place over filling. Seal and flute edges. Bake at 400° for 25-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 414 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC