Mock Apple Pie
My mother made this dessert often during the Depression, and our guests were always astounded that soda crackers could be such convincing 'apples'!Shirley Hunter, St. Paul, Minnesota
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min.
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 18 saltines, halved
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate. Layer crackers in shell;
- set aside. In a small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring
- to a boil. Carefully pour over crackers (filling will be very thin).
- Cool for 10 minutes. Cut lattice strips from remaining pastry; place
- over filling. Seal and flute edges. Bake at 400° for 25-20
- minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 414 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.