Mock Apple Pie Squares Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 8 cups sliced peeled zucchini
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press half of the crumb mixture into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Set remaining crumb mixture aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring zucchini and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Drain. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 cup reserved crumb mixture. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- 3. Spread filling evenly over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 229 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Mock Apple Pie Squares
"This is wonderful. I didn't believe it would taste like apple pie but it does. It has a lot of sugar in it but the sweetness is not overpowering like I thought it would be. Definitely a keeper!"
"I've made this recipe several times now & really love it. You can't tell at all that it's made with zucchini.I took some to work & they loved it .Naturally I had to share the recipe with my co-workers.I love this recipe!YUMMY!"
"Enjoyed these bars. The topping is the same as the crust (answer to a previous question). I left out the raisins and nuts, and the bars turned out fine. Next time, I would slice the zucchini slices in half, too, even though the recipe doesn't call for it. Thanks!"
"ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! The yummy smell and taste made me think of the Amish. Just reminded me so much of something we would get in Lancaster. LOVE IT!!! I did omit the raisins and walnuts, just my preference."
"My family thought they were eating apple instead of zucchini. I made a few alterations on my second batch. I substituted Splenda Brown Sugar blend and sugar substitute for the sugar and was very pleased with the results."
"I have not yet made this recipe though it is on the list for dinner tonight. I would like to point out though that no cook temp. is listed it tells you to bake them even for how long but not at what temp."
"The picture shows a topping that doesn't appear to be included in the recipe. Whattup? What are others using?"
"I would have to change the crust recipe; use a lower fat and calorie recipe! And must use sugar substitute and half the walnuts and raisins; and toast the walnuts first! I bet it is tasty; like the mock apple RITZ pie recipe using NO apples!"
"I've made this before and everyone was surprised there were no apples, very good. I have 2 picky people in my family and have done a few of these fake-outs, now they are afraid to try my recipes even though they are always good."
"I just have to add...I won first place with this great tasting dessert...and everyone wants the recipe.These are definately a winner!!"
"I heard from my sister that my aunt made this for the family reunion and EVERYONE raved about it...so I'm going to give it a go for our Zucchini Fest dessert competion. Thanks..According to family it rates a blue ribbon."
"Made this last summer and took it to a bake sale. Got raves from those who tried it! I omitted the raisins. ljh"