Mock Apple Pie Squares Recipe
No one ever guesses these sweet "apple" slices are made with zucchini. In fact, there isn't a bit of apple in them. What I like about this yummy recipe is that it makes a lot using economical ingredients. —Lynn Hamilton Naperville, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 8 cups sliced peeled zucchini
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press half of the crumb mixture into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Set remaining crumb mixture aside.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring zucchini and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Drain. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 cup reserved crumb mixture. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- 3. Spread filling evenly over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 229 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC