My mother made this dessert often during the Depression, and our guests were always astounded that soda crackers could be such convincing 'apples'!—Shirley Hunter, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 18 saltines, halved
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate. Layer crackers in shell; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Carefully pour over crackers (filling will be very thin). Cool for 10 minutes. Cut lattice strips from remaining pastry; place over filling. Seal and flute edges. Bake at 400° for 25-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mock Apple Pie in Taste of Home October/November 1998, p13
Reviews for Mock Apple Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review