Mocha Yule Log Recipe
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- MOCHA CREAM FILLING:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- MOCHA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with parchment paper; grease the paper. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to egg yolk mixture until blended.
- 3. Beat egg whites on medium until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a fourth into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until no streaks remain.
- 4. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back (do not overbake). Cool for 5 minutes; invert onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Peel off parchment paper. Roll up in the towel, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack.
- 5. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and coffee granules. Beat until stiff peaks form; chill. Unroll cooled cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place on serving platter; chill.
- 6. In a large bowl, beat frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cake. Using a fork, make lines resembling tree bark. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 341 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Mocha Yule Log
"I did it! I'm so proud of myself! I made this for Christmas, and I live at 4,500 feet and it still worked. It was spongy creamy yummness. StefaniBuhajla, your daughter was my inspiration. And, I will definitely be making this again next year!"
"My 17 year old daughter wanted to try her hand at a Yule log for our family celebration. It was a challenge for someone new to baking but, she followed the recipe exactly and it was fantastic! I can't tell you how much everyone raved about it. I wish we could post pictures here because it wasn't just scrumptious, it was gorgeous! I have the picture of my daughter's creation using this recipe over at pinterest! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/47921183511113452/"
"I have never rated a recipe before, but I made an account just to do that. It is so good! It came out picture perfect and it was delicious. There is literally nothing I would change. I made meringue cookie mushrooms to go on top to make it look cute!"
"EXCELLENT!!!!!! My Belgian husband and I loved this and I just added this to my recipe box. Definitely my "go to" cake recipe for Xmas. Thank you"
"I made this Yule log twice, the first time was to make sure it turned out/tasted good. It did and was. So the second time I made this was for Thanksgiving dessert. I doubled the frosting the first time because I didn't want to run out-that was not needed, because I had plenty of frosting. The second time I made it-I doubled the mocha filling-which is the best part! The log was a bit flatter-due to the extra filling, but once iced it held together well! This dessert is pretty and tastes delish, everyone who tried it really enjoyed it too!"
"This was a great recipe, got rave reviews from everyone."
"this will be on my table every Christmas. Everyone enjoyed it."
"followed this recipe and it is the best one yet very easy and everyone loves it"
"This recipe is a bit of work but everyone loves it and asks for it on holidays"