- Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to egg yolk mixture
- until blended.
- Beat egg whites on medium until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat
- until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon
- at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a fourth
- into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until no
- streaks remain.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15
- minutes or until cake springs back (do not overbake). Cool for 5
- minutes; invert onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar.
- Peel off parchment paper. Roll up in the towel, starting with a
- short side. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and
- coffee granules. Beat until stiff peaks form; chill. Unroll cooled
- cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again.
- Place on serving platter; chill.
- In a large bowl, beat frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cake.
- Using a fork, make lines resembling tree bark. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 341 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 130 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.