- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- MOCHA CREAM FILLING:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- MOCHA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with parchment paper; grease the paper. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to egg yolk mixture until blended.
- Beat egg whites on medium until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a fourth into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until no streaks remain.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back (do not overbake). Cool for 5 minutes; invert onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Peel off parchment paper. Roll up in the towel, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and coffee granules. Beat until stiff peaks form; chill. Unroll cooled cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place on serving platter; chill.
- In a large bowl, beat frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cake. Using a fork, make lines resembling tree bark. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Mocha Yule Log
"I did it! I'm so proud of myself! I made this for Christmas, and I live at 4,500 feet and it still worked. It was spongy creamy yummness. StefaniBuhajla, your daughter was my inspiration. And, I will definitely be making this again next year!"
"My 17 year old daughter wanted to try her hand at a Yule log for our family celebration. It was a challenge for someone new to baking but, she followed the recipe exactly and it was fantastic! I can't tell you how much everyone raved about it. I wish we could post pictures here because it wasn't just scrumptious, it was gorgeous! I have the picture of my daughter's creation using this recipe over at pinterest! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/47921183511113452/"
"I have never rated a recipe before, but I made an account just to do that. It is so good! It came out picture perfect and it was delicious. There is literally nothing I would change. I made meringue cookie mushrooms to go on top to make it look cute!"
"EXCELLENT!!!!!! My Belgian husband and I loved this and I just added this to my recipe box. Definitely my "go to" cake recipe for Xmas. Thank you"
"One word - YUMMY. Made for dessert for our family Christmas dinner and everyone loved it. Definitely a keeper."