My husband is a chocolate lover, so I bake brownies about once a week. This mouthwatering variety is one of his favorites and so simple to make.—Margaret Roberts, Kuna, Idaho
- 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a heavy saucepan or microwave, melt chips and butter. Stir until smooth; cool for 5 minutes. Dissolve coffee granules in hot water; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar; beat on medium for 1 minute. Stir in chocolate mixture and coffee. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, dissolve coffee granules in water; set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar, melted chocolate and coffee. Spread over brownies.
- For glaze, melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a heavy saucepan or microwave; stir until smooth. Drizzle over filling. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Mocha Truffle Brownies in Country Woman May/June 2000, p31
Reviews for Mocha Truffle Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review