For an added touch of sweetness, serve these crispy wedges with ice cream and B.G. Saelhof's strawberry sauce (recipe in recipe finder). "They taste great all by themselves, too," advises Carolyn Van Boening of Blue Springs, Nebraska. "I've taken the shortbread to community get-togethers and given some as gifts. Everyone seems to love the mocha flavor."—Carolyn Van Boening, Blue Springs, Nebraska
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules, finely crushed
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa and coffee; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gather into a ball; knead 2 minutes.
- On an ungreased baking sheet, pat dough into a 7-1/2-in. circle. Cut into 16 wedges, but do not separate. Prick each wedge several times with a fork. Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven; recut into wedges. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 16 cookies.
Originally published as Mocha Shortbread in Country Woman July/August 1998, p10
Reviews for Mocha Shortbread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review