Mocha Nut Roll Recipe
I’ve enjoyed this cake several times at a friend’s house and it never ceases to be delightful. The tender, impressive cake is the perfect indulgence for coffee- and chocolate-lovers alike!Susan Bettinger, Battle Creek, Michigan
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- MOCHA FILLING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar and chocolate curls, optional
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, coffee granules, and salt. Stir in milk and chocolate. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Just before serving, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Mocha Nut Roll in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p200
Reviews for Mocha Nut Roll(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easter Desserts >