Mocha Meringue Cups Recipe
No one can resist a rich mocha filling sitting on top of a crisp, chewy meringue cup. My clan expects me to make these treats for many special occasions throughout the year.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup sugar
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Spoon meringue into eight mounds on parchment-lined baking sheets. Shape into 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- 3. Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets. When completely cooled, remove meringues from the paper and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- 4. For filling, in a microwave-safe-bowl, melt the chocolate chips with cream and coffee granules; stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- 5. Beat until stiff peaks form. Immediately spoon into a pastry bag or plastic bag with a #20 star tip. Pipe filling into meringue cups. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 423 calories, 24 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC