Mocha Logs Recipe
My mom made these cookies for Christmas when I was a child and now they are one of my favorite cookies to make. I often pass them out to friends during the holidays.—Gayle Tarkowski, Traverse City, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:150 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a small bowl, beat butter and coffee granules for 1 minute. Add sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Roll dough into 1/2-in.-thick logs; cut into 2-in. pieces. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Or use a cookie press fitted with a star-shaped disk to press dough into 2-in. logs 1 in. apart on baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip ends of cookies in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with walnuts. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 12-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 33 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 18 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC