Dick McCarty of Lake Havasu City, Arizona shares a recipe for chocolate ice cream that he's enjoyed for over 40 years. "Coffee really enhances the flavor," he assures.
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- Dash salt
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, flour, coffee and salt. Gradually add milk and eggs; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon and reaches 160°, about 15 minutes. Refrigerate until chilled. Stir in the remaining in the remaining ingredients. Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Yield: about 2-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Mocha Ice Cream in Taste of Home August/September 2000, p65
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mocha Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review