I make this cake on special occasions and birthdays because it's so amazing in appearance and taste. The mild hazelnut and coffee flavor combination is impossible to resist and definitely adds to the overall deliciousness of the cake.—Christina Pope, Speedway, Indiana
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup Nutella
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, espresso powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and Nutella until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup hazelnuts. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Mocha Hazelnut Torte in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews for Mocha Hazelnut Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review