Mocha-Hazelnut Glazed Angel Food Cake Recipe
I love this recipe because it combines three of my favorite flavors: coffee, hazelnuts and cherries.—Joan Pecsek, Chesapeake, Virginia
- 12 large egg whites (about 1-2/3 cups)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 16 maraschino cherries with stems
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix flour and coffee granules until blended.
- 3. Add cream of tartar, extract and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 4. Gently transfer to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 30-40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool cake in pan, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 5. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. In a small bowl, whisk Nutella, confectioners' sugar and coffee until smooth. Drizzle over cake; sprinkle with hazelnuts. Serve with cherries. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 234 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 123 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC