Mocha Crackle Cookies
"These cake-like cookies are better than brownies," confirms field editor Louise Beatty of Amherst, New York. They have crackly tops and subtle coffee flavor.
30 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 4 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a microwave, heat the butter, chocolate and coffee until chocolate
- is melted; cool slightly. In a bowl, beat the eggs and salt; add
- sugar and brown sugar. Stir in chocolate mixture; mix well.
- Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to egg mixture to form
- a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to
- Roll dough into 3/4-in. balls. Roll in confectioners' sugar; place 2
- in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes
- or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 134 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 79 mg sodium,