Mocha Chip Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- Toasted sliced almonds, optional
- In a small bowl, combine wafer crumbs and butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over milk; let stand for 1 minute. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add 1/2 cup sugar, coffee, water and salt; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in melted chocolate and vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, beat 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture. Spread evenly into crust. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.
- Just before serving, in a small bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Pipe over pie. Garnish with almonds if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Mocha Chip Pie(1)
Sort By :
After adding the melted chocolate to the gelatin/coffee mixture, the chocolate turned grainy. I inquired on the interent what caused this and learned that adding melted chocolate to any liquid involving water, the chocolate will "seize" (turn grainy) and there is nothing one can do to fix it. If this is the case, why would a recipe contain ingredients and steps that would lead to this problem? Based on the description of chocolate "seizing" I don't see how I could have done anything different to avoid this problem. The mixture was very tasty but the chocolate was grainy and not attractive. This recipe needs to be reworked to avoid this situation. Very disappointed ingredients were wasted.