Mocha Chip Hazelnut Scones Recipe
Scrumptious with breakfast or afternoon coffee, these moist, tender scones boast a delightful combination of rich flavors. The toasted hazelnuts add a welcome crunch. —Sharon Gerow, Belleville, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:16 servings
- 4-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 2/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. Dissolve coffee granules in milk: set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir milk mixture into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in hazelnuts and chocolate chips. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- 3. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 16 scones.
1 scone equals 266 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 128 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC