Mocha Chip Hazelnut Scones
Scrumptious with breakfast or afternoon coffee, these moist, tender scones boast a delightful combination of rich flavors. The toasted hazelnuts add a welcome crunch. —Sharon Gerow, Belleville, Ontario
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 4-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 2/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Dissolve coffee granules in milk: set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir milk
- mixture into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in hazelnuts
- and chocolate chips. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at
- 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Yield: 16 scones.
Nutritional Facts: 1 scone equals 266 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 128 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.