Without a doubt, this is the best chocolate cake I've ever made. I share this decadent dessert with everyone I can!—Katherine DeLoach, Visalia, California
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups brewed coffee, cooled
- 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 6 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the chocolate, coffee and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Mocha Layer Cake in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p68
Reviews for Mocha Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review