- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups brewed coffee, cooled
- 1-1/3 cups sour cream
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 6 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the chocolate, coffee and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews for Mocha Cake(18)
Sort By :
I've been making this cake since I got the issue it was first printed in and it's become a family favorite. My in-laws call it the "Sin Cake" because of how deliciously decadent it is and because they can't stop eating it! The presentation alone is awesome if you chill it overnight and then slice it into square slices. Everything about it, from the flavors to the texture is spot on! This cake is labor intense, but so worth it. However, after you've made it several times, you know to have coffee made and set aside, cream cheese and butter at room temp., etc. It helps to just measure out all your ingredients first, so putting it together is easier. If you need a recipe to WOW people, this one is it!
I would have given this recipe 10 stars if it was based on the cake alone! OUTSTANDING CAKE!! I've made many cakes and this has to be the best to date! My cakes didn't take as long to cook as the directions say. They also sank (just a little) in the center but tested done with a tooth pick. The frosting on the other hand was so bitter in my opinion, I didn't use it. I even tried an additional cup of powdered sugar, needless to say, it didn't help... What a waste! If I were going to try it again, I would use 3 oz unsweetened chocolate & 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate. I made a coconut whipped cream for the filling and top (only), I find no need to frost the sides. I always put my cakes in the refrigerator over night before cutting. Much more flavorful. I hope this helps :)
Wow! what a fabulous cake this is!
I made it for my dad on Father's day, and he absolutly loved it! The frosting is one of the best things about it. I would definetly recommend this to any one.
Outrageously delicious, a melding of chocolate, mocha and cream cheese flavors that is scrumptious! My husband's favorite.
I have made this cake many times, I have family members request it often, it is defintely the best chocolate cake I have ever had.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Frosting Recipes >
- Chocolate Icing Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >