Mocha Butter Cream Yule Log Recipe
- 5 eggs, room temperature, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- MOCHA BUTTER CREAM FROSTING:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon strong brewed coffee
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Chopped nuts, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is thick and light-colored. Add flour and cocoa, beating on low speed. In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter. mix until no streaks of white remaining.
- 2. Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; line with waxed paper, and grease and flour paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Cover with waxed paper and cool completely on wire rack.
- 3. Remove paper; invert cake onto an 18-in. long piece of waxed paper dusted with confectioners' sugar. Trim edges from all four sides of cake.
- 4. For filling, combine flour and milk in a saucepan. Cook over low heat; stirring until thick. Cool. In a bowl, cream sugar, butter and vanilla. Add flour mixture; beat until fluffy. Fold in walnuts if desired. Spread over cake; roll up, jelly-roll style, starting from one short end.
- 5. For frosting, beat butter until fluffy in a small bowl. Beat in sugar, cocoa and coffee. Spread over cake, using a fork to create a bark-like effect. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and nuts if desired. Yield: 14-18 servings.
1 slice: 233 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (16g sugars, trace fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Mocha Butter Cream Yule Log
"The final product was okay but I wouldn't make it again. The cake part tasted too much like eggs and not chocolate. I added 1 1/2 more cups of powdered sugar to the butter cream frosting as it was too buttery tasting."
"I did a lot of recipe searching for a yule log this year, and printed this one out for its filling, which ended up being disgusting! I threw it all out and made a basic butter-cream, instead. I didn't use this recipe for the cake (too plain) or the frosting (sounds like it will be too thin and weakly flavored). Totally not worth your time. Use a different recipe."
"A beautiful start of a new family tradition!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.