Mocha Bundt Cake Recipe
- Baking cocoa
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. Generously grease a 10-in. fluted tube pan with shortening; dust with cocoa, tapping pan to coat evenly. Tap out excess cocoa.
- 2. In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Beat in sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in coffee and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the chocolate mixture and mix well.
- 3. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice (calculated without whipped cream) equals 417 calories, 24 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 323 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Mocha Bundt Cake
"Due to some comments here about the amount of batter, we've reviewed and retested this recipe. We agree, there was a lot of batter, but it didn't overflow for us. However, for the best results for everyone we cut the amount of batter by one-third. We think the texture of the cake is even better now and while it was shorter, the cake looked nicer since it baked entirely in the pan without rising above.The adjusted recipe is shown here.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
"Awesome cake! If it looks like there is to much batter, don't fill up your pan. We all know cakes rise..."
"This cake turned out perfectly. I used all the batter. It all fit into my large stone bundt pan. I needed to bake it for the total of 65 minutes because it was such a tall cake. The flavor was fantastic."
"This is my favorite chocolate cake. It doesn't need any toppings, though I usually do the light dusting confectioners' sugar, it actually isn't necessary. It is the most moist and tasty chocolate cake I've ever had. I've made it several times over the years, but I don't think I've ever added the rum extract. I have a flexible silicone bundt pan and have not had a problem w/ overflow. I've also successfully made this cake in a 9x13 baking pan."
"This cake is awesome! It doesn't need anything on it either...that is coming from someone who loves frosting! The cake will overflow your bundt pan if you have a newer pan. My pan is older from my mother, and even at that it was very full and a really tall cake. Just put some of the cake in a smaller pan. Well worth making. Everyone I shared this cake with just raved about it and asked for the recipe."
"Really enjoyed this! I used 4 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in 2 cups hot water in place of the brewed coffee, and used trans-fat free margarine,place of butter, reducing the quantity from 1 1/2 cups to 1 1/4 cups. Loved the flavor imparted by the rum extract! Having read the other reviews, I only filled the bundt pan to within 1" of the top, leaving me with extra batter which I baked separately for 40 minutes in an 8" square pan. This turned out to be a good decision, as the cakes rose beautifully and the bundt pan ended up just filled to the top with no overflow."
"I had this delicious cake at a Christmas gathering and decided I had to make it myself! I have attempted twice now. Both times I made it exactly as directed and both times it has overflowed the pan - a lot. It still taste great, but what a mess! Any suggestions?"
"If you love mocha, this is the recipe to try!!! It's moist & rich with a fine texture, a hit every time I make it. It's yummy even without the whipped cream."
"I followed the directions exactly, but it ran over the top of my 10" Bundt pan and made a burnt large puddle on the bottom of my oven. Perhaps 2 cups of coffee were 1 cup too many?"