Crunchy water chestnuts give a nice contrast in texture to the tender peas in this snappy side dish from Judy Bennett. The Vacaville, California cook says she prepares it often for company. Guests will never guess that it costs only 52¢ per serving.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and halved
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms and onion in butter. Add the
- peas, water chestnuts and soy sauce. Cook until heated through,
- about 10 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 3/4-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium soy sauce) equals 128 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 478 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.