Mixed Vegetable Soup Recipe
I received this recipe from my sister who worked as a dietitian for years. I always make a batch when my family gathers for the holidays.—Lucille Franck, Independence, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, celery, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Set aside 1/2 cup broth. Add the tomatoes, sugar, pepper and remaining broth to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Combine flour and reserved broth until smooth; gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
One 1-cup serving equals 116 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC