Mixed Vegetable Soup
"My sister who worked as a dietitian for years, gave me this recipe," shares Lucille Franck of Independence, Iowa. "I sometimes double or triple this hearty soup when my family gathers for the holidays."
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- In a small saucepan, saute the carrot, celery, green pepper and onion
- in butter until tender. Set aside 2 tablespoons broth. Add the
- tomatoes, sugar, pepper and remaining broth to vegetable mixture;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and reserved broth until smooth; gradually add to
- the soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- slightly thickened. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving: 1 cup equals 124 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 642 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat,