"I found a recipe for a layered veggie casserole, then modified it to use produce I had on hand," says Marilou Robinson of Portland, Oregon. "I sometimes sprinkle bread crumbs or grated cheese on top for a tasty variation."
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup canned sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Place half in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, oregano, salt and pepper. Sprinkle half over vegetables in the baking dish. Layer with remaining vegetables and seasoning mixture. Dot with butter.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mixed Vegetable Casserole in Country Woman July/August 2002, p40
Reviews for Mixed Vegetable Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review