The mellow flavor of the wholesome grains in this nutritious casserole is enhanced by garlic, onion and thyme. "The hearty easy-to-prepare side dish goes great with meat, fish or poultry," notes Marion Bengson of New Brighton, Minnesota. "I make it often for my family and for company, Everyone enjoys it."
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Rinse wild rice with hot water; drain. Combine the wild rice, brown rice and barley. In a saucepan, saute garlic in butter. Add rice mixture; saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion, mushrooms, broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 70 minutes or until rice and barley are tender. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in parsley. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Mixed Rice and Barley Bake in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p7
Reviews for Mixed Rice and Barley Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review