Peanut brittle is done one better when prepared with mixed nuts instead. This impressive candy is simply delicious. I like to pack some in pretty plastic bags to give as gifts.
Recommended: Homemade Food Gift Packaging Ideas
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 cups mixed nuts
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Uncover and cook until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage).
- Meanwhile, grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside. Place nuts in two ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans; bake at 325° for 10-15 minutes or until warm. (Keep warm until ready to use.)
- Remove sugar mixture from the heat; carefully stir in the nuts, vanilla, salt and remaining butter. Quickly spread into prepared pan. Cool completely; break into pieces. Yield: 2-1/2 pounds.
Originally published as Mixed Nut Brittle in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p39
Reviews for Mixed Nut Brittle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2015
"Just read this recipe, can you explain the pan situation to me?"
Reviewed Jan. 18, 2012
"I'll try to mix another natural for this recipe,thank for idea."
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2009
"This recipe is also delicious and one my family very badly wants to keep. It goes in our recipe box right away."