Peanut brittle is done one better when prepared with mixed nuts instead. This impressive candy is simply delicious. I like to pack some in pretty plastic bags to give as gifts.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 cups mixed nuts
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Uncover and cook until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage).
- Meanwhile, grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside. Place nuts in two ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans; bake at 325° for 10-15 minutes or until warm. (Keep warm until ready to use.)
- Remove sugar mixture from the heat; carefully stir in the nuts, vanilla, salt and remaining butter. Quickly spread into prepared pan. Cool completely; break into pieces. Yield: 2-1/2 pounds.
Originally published as Mixed Nut Brittle in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p39
Reviews for Mixed Nut Brittle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review