My brother began growing legumes a few years back, so I've been trying many different recipes. Everyone enjoys the comforting old-fashioned flavor of this vegetable soup.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup dried yellow split peas
- 3/4 cup dried green split peas
- 3 quarts beef broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; drain. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the lentils and peas are tender. Yield: 12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Mixed Legume Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p13
Reviews for Mixed Legume Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review