My brother began growing legumes a few years back, so I've been trying many different recipes. Everyone enjoys the comforting old-fashioned flavor of this vegetable soup.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup dried yellow split peas
- 3/4 cup dried green split peas
- 3 quarts beef broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; drain. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the lentils and peas are tender. Yield: 12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Mixed Legume Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p13
Reviews for Mixed Legume Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2015
"This is healthy, delicious, and so easy. My husband loved it too. I added double the bacon and carrots and was very happy with it. Thank you for this recipe."