Mixed Fruit Shortcakes Recipe
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh peaches or nectarines
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Whipped cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the berries, peaches and 2 teaspoons sugar; set aside. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop by lightly packed 1/3 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Gently flatten into 2-1/2-in. circles. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 2. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon fruit onto bottoms; spread whipped cream over fruit or on the shortcake tops. Yield: 2 servings.
1 shortcake equals 329 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 311 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Mixed Fruit Shortcakes
"Very tasty, extremely easy! I replaced the recipe's fruit with a bowl of blueberries and cut up strawberries; the tartness of those fruits contrasted very well with the sweetness of the biscuit and whipped cream. The dough was extremely dry and crumbly, so I added a very little milk and molded them with my hands. Perfect dessert for two!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.