Mixed Fruit Shortcakes
Field editor Sue Ross of Casa Grande, Arizona shares this delightful downsized recipe that makes just two biscuit-like shortcakes. Fill them with fresh fruit of your choice and top with whipped cream for an impressive dinner finale.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh peaches or nectarines
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Whipped cream
- In a small bowl, combine the berries, peaches and 2 teaspoons sugar;
- set aside. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and
- salt; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk just
- until moistened. Drop by 1/3 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased
- baking sheet. Flatten into 2-1/2-in. circles. Sprinkle with
- remaining sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a
- wire rack to cool. Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon
- fruit onto bottoms; replace tops. Garnish with whipped cream. Yield:
- 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 336 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 311 mg sodium,