Mixed Fruit Shortcakes Recipe
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh peaches or nectarines
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Whipped cream
- In a small bowl, combine the berries, peaches and 2 teaspoons sugar; set aside. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop by 1/3 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten into 2-1/2-in. circles. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon fruit onto bottoms; replace tops. Garnish with whipped cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mixed Fruit Shortcakes
Sort By :
"Very tasty, extremely easy! I replaced the recipe's fruit with a bowl of blueberries and cut up strawberries; the tartness of those fruits contrasted very well with the sweetness of the biscuit and whipped cream. The dough was extremely dry and crumbly, so I added a very little milk and molded them with my hands. Perfect dessert for two!"