Mixed Berry Shortcake Recipe
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 8 whole strawberries, halved
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. transfer to a bowl; press a piece of plastic wrap on top of custard. Refrigerate.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Pat gently into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Cut shortcake into 3/4-in. cubes. In parfait glasses, alternate layers of shortcake, custard, sliced strawberries and blueberries. Garnish with halved strawberries and a dollop of whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 382 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Mixed Berry Shortcake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.