Mixed Berry Shortcake Recipe
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 8 whole strawberries, halved
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. transfer to a bowl; press a piece of plastic wrap on top of custard. Refrigerate.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk until a soft dough forms. Pat gently into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Cut shortcake into 3/4-in. cubes. In parfait glasses, alternate layers of shortcake, custard, sliced strawberries and blueberries. Garnish with halved strawberries and a dollop of whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
One parfait equals 382 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.